Home » Parent Council
Category Archives: Parent Council
When: Friday, April 27, 2018
Where: Elks Lodge West Roxbury
Time: 6:30 – 10:30 pm
What: A great time socializing while raising money for our awesome schools!!
That’s why we (parents and kids) love your creative raffle prizes and would be so appreciative of any donation you would like to make! Examples from previous years:
- Pizza Party for 4 with Staff Member
- Lunch with Teacher
- Instrument/Sports/ other lesson
- “Date Night” Basket
- Scratch Ticket Board
- Work with a staff member
- Movie Passes and Candy
Please contact: Jenn Laham at Jennifer.email@example.com We thank you in advance for any donation of your time, creative ideas, and contributions. Hope to see you all at Parents Rock!!
Welcome Back Principal Krakow from your maternity leave!
Indoor fun run, will be held at the Ohrenberger for both schools. We will need about 5-8 volunteers for it. Stay tuned for fundraising information.
2017-2018 Budget was presented at tonight’s meeting.
Book Fair – It was another successful book fair! Thank you Cathy Ware for organizing and to all those who worked both fairs. The Ohrenberger money will be put toward the library
Launch Fundraiser – Thanks to all who came out. We had a nice turnout, and raised some money for our schools.
We recently funded a field trip for the Ohrenberger LAB classes to go to see Wonder. The staff and students were very appreciative.
– Jan 22-Feb 2: Souper Bowl – Classes collect non-perishable goods to benefit a local food bank. Jenn Laham is running, but we’re looking for a 2nd coordinator.
– Feb 10: Craft Day – A morning of crafting in the Ohrenberger cafeteria. Chrissy Grant and Eddie Siracusa organizing. Looking for volunteers. Keep an eye out for a sign-up.
– Feb 11: Providence Bruins – A flyer will be coming home. Gina Cronin is organizing.
– March 9: Fun Run Fundraiser. Stay tuned for fundraising information.
Next Meeting Date is Tuesday, February 13, 2018 at the Beethoven
The Beethoven/Ohrenberger Parent Council is open to all parents of the schools and we encourage everyone to attend. In order to have a welcoming and open community, we ask all attendees to assume best intentions, be respectful, and allow for all voices to be heard. We welcome differing opinions and want everyone to feel that the meeting space is a positive environment in which we can build a strong community and further enrich and support our schools. We also strive to respect your time commitment by starting and ending meetings on time and by adhering to the agenda.
– Sincerely, the Beethoven/Ohrenberger Leadership Committee
Principal’s Report – Mr. P
-Thanks for all the support including the purchase of GoNoodle. The teachers are very appreciative.
-Halloween parades were fun
Football season is up and running
– 1st and 2nd grade field trip together to BC for a Women’s Basketball Game 11/16/17
– Getting ready for International Night 11/16/17
Mrs. Holbrook Memorial with Mr. P – some teachers and staff have ideas. more information to follow
Summary of Site Council Meeting
-The schools are working on their budget for 2018-2019
-BPS will be discussing changes to school start/end times for 2018-2019. Please follow the link to fill out a survey regarding this topic. https://www.bostonpublicschools.org/Page/6985
-Reviewed MCAS scores
Review of Business
1) Bake Sale:
-Thank you to everyone who baked and worked the sale!! It was a very successful event. We sold out of all our baked goods! We had many people helping out to coordinate, bake, and work.
-Decided that the Ohrenberger proceeds going directly to the library
-Thank you to our coordinators: Cathy Ware, Ellen King, Michelle Gruosi, April Sheehan Fittante, Brianna Krikava
2) Update on Ohrenberger Teacher’s Rooms
The teachers at the Ohrenberger were very appreciative for the makeover of the downstairs teacher’s room. Thank you Suzanne Loconto, Gina Cronin, and Joan Chan for working on this project!!
It has been requested that we makeover the upstairs teachers room as well, which we agreed on funding and doing the work.
3) Review of Box Tops
-Thank you to all of our families for sending in your BoxTops and thank you to Heather Miselis for putting together our Fall submission.
-If anyone is interested in working with Heather Miselis to startegize additional ways to increase our submission, please contact Heather at firstname.lastname@example.org
4) Update on Treasury Funds:
-Money was spent on Teacher’s room for Ohrenberger
-Approved funding for the other teachers room
-At the Beethoven expenses for GoNoodle and K1 and K2 Grade Socials
Issues for Action
1) Gardening at the Ohrenberger – November 11 (Alice Howell)
Tulip bulbs were donated and West Roxbury Gardening Club planting them on Saturday 11/11/17
2) Upcoming International Night – November 16 (Mette Arnmark)
We need more volunteers for set-up/clean up
3) Upcoming Book Fair – (Cathy Ware)
Beethoven fair December 11th -15th (holiday shows on December 12th and 13th)
Ohrenberger Fair 14-20th with the holiday show on the 20th *change of date**
4) Making Music Matters (Brenda U)
-Record enrollment this year at the Ohrenberger
-We also have more families in need of financial support for the fee of the instrument and lesson
-Parent Council agreed to provide scholarships to those in need this year
– Come out on Saturday November 18th and run the Parkway Turkey Trot, run by our fellow BPS school The Lyndon. Participate in the lap challenge and support OUR school. More info at www.parkwayturkeytrot.com
– Grade Socials – K2 one was a big success. Thank you Jocelyn Holguin, Shan Wolrand, Briana Krikava, Ellen King, Jenn Laham, Saran Sherriff and Sarah and Kevin Cleary for coordinating such a fun event
– 1st Grade Social is on December 1st . More Info to follow
– Discussed recess time. Mr. P shared that all of the kids will be using the playground now. For indoor recess, the students are all in the cafeteria. What can we do to help these kids move….? Discussed using parent volunteers to work on helping indoor recess. Seeking additional suggestions for other recess ideas through the winter months.
– Discussed increasing communication between school and home. Several ideas were presented in terms of teacher-parent communication and overall school-home communication. This will be an ongoing discussion between Parent Council and Mr. P.
– In need of a gift idea for your child’s teacher?? The Giving Tree will be up at the Beethoven Holiday shows. More info to follow. Thank you Melanie Kelly-Berkley for putting this together
– The leadership team can always be reached with ideas or questions
Next Meeting Date is Tuesday, December 5, 2017 – 5:30PM Site Council / 6:30PM Parent Council