Mark Your Calendars! Upcoming Dates
Feb 20 – 24: School Vacation Week. Classes resume Mon, Feb 27.
March 6: Bake Sale for Primary Election
March 12 – 23: Toy Drive for Room to Grow
April 12: International Night
Spring: MCAS Exams (Date TBD)
May: Teacher Appreciation Week
Beethoven in the News
The Beethoven was recently visited by Senator Scott Brown where he read a book to the first graders. It was an unplanned visit, but received some press: http://www.wickedlocal.com/roslindale/news/x1200257160/Photos-Sen-Scott-Brown-visits-West-Roxburys-Beethoven-Elementary-School?photo=0#axzz1lqh8Nqps
Principal Nash was quoted in the Boston Globe regarding a $4 million grant the Boston City Schools received in order to maintain and expand arts education.
Ohrenberger-Beethoven Schools Hold Soup-er Bowl for Roslindale Food Bank
International Night (April 12, evening): International Night is a night where students and their families can bring in a dish representing their ethnicity to share with their schoolmates. This year, for the first time, we will be setting up international tables representing select countries thanks to the help of Ms. Haydee Yestusis (1st Grade SEI Teacher).
- Ms. Yestusis will be managing the international table displays while the Parent Council will continue to manage the food area.
- Each international table will have information about the country, its flag and other representative things about that country
- Kids will be given a passport where they collect ‘stamps’ for each international table they’ve visited. Next day, students that have the most stickers get a prize
- Send out a save the date flyer and ask what parents are willing to contribute
- Have international music playing over the intercom
- Have kids update all the country flags that are currently in the gym
- There was concern over what time the event started since we have many more K1 and K2 students this year. Do we change the time from 5-7 or 5:30-7:30?
Toy drive for Room to Grow (March 12 – 23, Magda Hernandez): A toy drive will be held to collect toys for Room to Grow. New or gently used toys for kids aged 0-3 are acceptable. There will be a box in the auditorium for collection. Receipts will be available for tax purposed
Uniform Exchange (April): The Parent Council will be conducting a uniform exchange similar to how we conducted the winter coat exchange. Some clothes may be kept in the Parent Council Room as back up if kids have accidents.
Teacher Appreciation Day (May, Joan Chan): To show our appreciation to the teachers, every year during Teacher Appreciation Week, the Parent Council donates a breakfast and luncheon to the teachers to thank them for all their hard work. The teachers are also offered a very relaxing chair massaged by a professional masseuse.
- Provide the breakfast on 1 day and the luncheon on the number because there is normally an abundance of food. Preferably not a Friday.
- 3rd graders will be serving the teachers during the luncheon.
Event & Activity Recaps
Arts & Crafts Fun Day Recap: Thanks to our volunteers, snack contributors, and participants of the 2nd annual Arts & Crafts Day. The event was a great success with all the kids enjoying a day of fun arts & crafts!
Souper Bowl Food Drive: The Beethoven collected 867 cans for the Roslindale Food Pantry. Thanks to all who participated!
Fundraising Activities – Updates
Bake Sale – There is a primary election on Tuesday, March 6, so the Parent Council will have a bake sale on this date. Look for a flyer asking for baked goods and volunteers for that day.
Fundraising goals: The Parent Council’s goal is to purchase 200 chairs and a new amp for the school.
Box Tops: 2nd and last shipment of Box tops for the school year . Please send in your Box Tops by March 11th.
Field Day (June) – Kris Hughes will be heading that up. Date TBD