Mark Your Calendars! Upcoming Dates
Mon., Dec. 12 – Fri., Dec. 16: Scholastic Book Fair
Tuesday, Dec. 13, 9:00am: K1/K2 Holiday Show
Wednesday, Dec. 14, 9:00am: Grade 1-3 Holiday Show
Scholastic Book Fair
- Date of event: Dec.12- Dec.16 (week of holiday show)
- Summary of Event: the Annual Book Fair occurs in December. Students have the opportunity to bring in money and purchase books. The school earns a combination of money and books based on total sales.
- Co-chairs: Beth Rimas, Kristin Macchi and Michele Sarro
- Books have been set up thanks to the volunteers on Friday.
- We are all set on volunteers for this event.
- If you would like your child to buys books at the book fair, don’t forget to send your child to school with money on their designated day. The book fair will also be open immediately following the Holiday Shows on Tuesday and Wednesday for parents.
- Don’t forget to look for the table where you can purchase a book for your teacher! It will be near the double exit doors.
Winter outerwear exchange and drive
- Date: Friday 12/9 (passed)
- Summary: This outerwear exchange included boys and girls coats, scarves, hats. Everything left over will go to Cradles to Crayons
Canned food drive
- Dates: January or February
- Summary: A Canned food drive will be held in January or February together with Ohrenberger School. Gretchen suggested donating some of the food to a local food pantry such as the Roslindale Food Pantry or maybe split the food between the Greater Boston Food Bank and Roslindale Food Pantry. Gretchen can offered to be the contact with Roslindale Food Pantry.
Toy Drive for Room to Grow
- Dates: in the Spring
- Summary: We will be seeking new or good conditioned toys for the Room to Grow toy drive. This includes developmental toys for babies/toddlers, baby gear or any toy that you would deem fit for a friend. Room to Grow is a non- profit that is based in NY but has a Boston office. It targets families with kids 0-3 that are under privileged. Via this program families meet with social workers and receive goods from the Room to Grow program. They help 300 families per year.
Event/Fundraising Recaps – overall efforts have been successful.
- November bake sale – raised over $500
- Movie Night
- 290 people attended the event
- Families were very generous with many drinks left over which can be used towards future events
- Thanks to everyone who volunteered their time and donated food. Special thanks to Jill Maguire and Karen Kefalas for organizing this great event!
- “Our Parents Rock” Night
- This event had a great turn out from parents of both the Beethoven and Ohrenberger schools
- The raffles raised $4157 between Beethoven and Ohrenberger.
- Kids R Kids Promotion – Final amount raised from this event is still being determined.
- Closet clean-out sale – raised $200
- Beethoven decals – sold $150
- Discussed possibly changing the decals to be magnets or stickers so they don’t fall off the car as easily
- Sunny D labels – we collected zero Sunny D Labels
- Top It Off – promotion ended Saturday 12/10
- Box Tops Fundraiser – The next and last shipment for the school year will be March 23rd. It is sent twice per school year (October & March). October’s shipment earned the school $300.
- Stop & Shop – people need to re-register their cards. As of now, we only have 40 families enrolled in the program! Forms went home with kids so you can enroll/re-enroll yourselves and friends and family.
- St. Stephen’s Church across the street from the school expressed interest in doing something with/for the school.
- Donor’s Choice – Donorschoice.org is an online charity that makes it easy to help students in need through school donations. Last year the school was successful in using Donor’s Choice for several of our teachers. This year, Ms. Mahoney and Ms. Shields has projects on Donor’s Choice. Ms. Doughty will have hers up after the winter break.
- ACTION: Go to Donorchoice.org and click on “projects”. Then in the left navigation bar, click on “districts” and choose “Suffolk”, then click on “Schools” and click on “Ludwig Beethoven Elem School”. This will bring up the projects for our school.
Updates from Ms. Nash
- On the wish list for Ms. Nash – new chairs for the auditorium. We need about 150 more chairs.
- This year we have budgeted buses for 1 field trip per grade. Anything beyond we’ll need additional funding
- Suggestion box – We received handful of suggestions
- School directory – TBD
- Web site – Adrienne working with Mr. P to update site
- Craft Fair (Feb)
- International Night (May)
- Teacher Appreciation Day (May)
- Field Day (June)
***Next parent council meeting date is TBD***